Feathercoin daemon and wallet production version 0.18.1
Old daemon and wallet version 0.17.0.1

Difficulty Discussion - Fork Update - Bushstar

• | Tip Ilocans

[quote name=“haxree” post=“3450” timestamp=“1368557323”]
    I think part of the problem is using block to count until next difficulty change - why not use time. Or would that mess up the coin limit/generation rate.
    [/quote]
    Why not a mixed ?
    I mean the first between 2016 Blocks and X days, Would this prevent this kind of situation ?

• | Tip UKMark

I think part of the problem is using block to count until next difficulty change - why not use time. Or would that mess up the coin limit/generation rate.
    [/quote]

That’s a fair point while I don’t understand the reason myself, how would it be made secure? Time can be altered (well it can’t, but it can :)) - I suppose we would need some sort of timezone setting EG: CST crypto-time-standard too that the network adhered too otherwise UTC/EST/GMT/EDT etc would all get their difficulty changes at different times.
    But like I say I don’t know the reason why not…

• | Tip Bushstar

[/quote]

A newly generated block gets its time from the median time of connected nodes. It is possible to have a new block with a time before the previous block. If you base the difficulty on the network time is could be exploited to change the difficulty.

• Regular Member | Tip aysyr

Isn’t NTP based on what I guess is considered the source of all network time? Would it be able to get its time from that?

• | Tip UKMark

[quote name=“aysyr” post=“3466” timestamp=“1368561226”]
    Isn’t NTP based on what I guess is considered the source of all network time? Would it be able to get its time from that?
    [/quote]

From what I can gather, it is easy to set time wherever you want to, ie: In the future or past etc.
    I know many years ago those 30 day software trials used to last forever 😃

• | Tip justabitoftime

[quote name=“UKMark” post=“3483” timestamp=“1368563839”]
    [quote author=aysyr link=topic=363.msg3466#msg3466 date=1368561226]
    [/quote]

From what I can gather, it is easy to set time wherever you want to, ie: In the future or past etc.
    [/quote]

30 day trials … .hmmmm… no wonder my clock still says 1998. 🙂

• | Tip 00400

How will this fork work? Will we still have to reach the current retarget, or will it be split?
    I am asking because expected block and retarget times are growing and growing :-\

• Regular Member | Tip jeremiel

[quote name=“justabitoftime” post=“3485” timestamp=“1368563928”]
    [quote author=UKMark link=topic=363.msg3483#msg3483 date=1368563839]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You really need to upgrade that windows 98 machine. 😃

• | Tip DigitalDoom

[quote name=“jeremiel” post=“3523” timestamp=“1368570889”]
    [quote author=justabitoftime link=topic=363.msg3485#msg3485 date=1368563928]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah…the good ole days of internet!

When my eMachines Desktop w/ Celeron 333Mhz CPU, 128Mb of RAM and an 80Gb HDD was plenty enough for the entire family! Difficult to imagine now.

• | Tip raptorak

[quote name=“DigitalDoom” post=“3542” timestamp=“1368584781”]
    [quote author=jeremiel link=topic=363.msg3523#msg3523 date=1368570889]
    [quote author=justabitoftime link=topic=363.msg3485#msg3485 date=1368563928]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah…the good ole days of internet!

When my eMachines Desktop w/ Celeron 333Mhz CPU, 128Mb of RAM and an 80Gb HDD was plenty enough for the entire family! Difficult to imagine now.
    [/quote]

I still have a *working* laptop that has a 4GB HDD, 32 MB of ram (I think, maybe less), and not even sure what CPU it has. It’s from when laptops were still the new thing.

• | Tip live627

We have a 486 with Win95 lol

• | Tip DigitalDoom

[quote name=“live627” post=“3560” timestamp=“1368593075”]
    We have a 486 with Win95 lol
    [/quote]

That’s AWESOME!!!

Still running? Or conversation piece?

I thought it was bad that my friend was still running Windows 95 on a 486 back when XP first released…you just went straight to the top in my list of people who refuse to give up on their Dino-Tech.

The previous #1 was a friend of my Mother’s who just last year was literally forced into buying a new laptop after her 2002 store-bought machine finally gave up and the AMD processor spontaneously combusted. The funniest part (for me) about that was, she had just called me (somehow I’m the town’s “Free PC Tech”) the week before to have a look at the thing because it was frequently shutting down without warning. I told her it could be a number of things causing the problem but that none of them were worth the trouble of investigating since any repair bill would be much higher than the total value of the PC in full working condition.

My advice to her was to let me build her a new one, “before the thing burns up and takes a section of the house with it”.

The penny-pinching bitch refused to come off of a measly $350 to let me build her a PC. Told me to just do what I could (for a whopping $25) she would take her chances. Evidently she trusts my knowledge well enough to work on her old-assed, janky machine for a few pennies, but not enough to trust my opinion of how much her crappy, 8 year-old, assembly line built PC is worth.

So, I swept out the case, cleaned the processor heatsink & fan, tested and replaced the PS and wished her good luck with it.

When I saw her the following week and asked about the PC she told me how it let the smoke out a couple days after I left.

I nearly bit my tongue off trying to hold back the “I told you so!”

BTW…I’ve since sworn off giving free advice and doing cheap labor for friends and “friends of the family”.

Maybe next time I’ll tell you all about how this same woman sold her previous PC in a garage sale…along with my home phone number to call if the buyer had any problems with it. Somehow I went from being not only the 24 hour, free pc tech, but also I was now given a new responsibility…the free tech support agent servicing used PC sales. :o

• | Tip Radacoin

@Bushstar: When is the update comming?

Network Hashrate down to 318,149 KHash/s

• | Tip archminer

[quote name=“Radacoin” post=“3589” timestamp=“1368602449”]
    @Bushstar: When is the update comming?

Network Hashrate down to 318,149 KHash/s
    [/quote]

Also @Bushstar, don’t forget to take the decline of hashrate into consideration when estimating how many blocks will be generated in the next week.

• | Tip robep00

Hi Bushstar,

I did put all my rigs to mine feathercoins in the meantime. (4,400 Kh/s).
    Anything we can do to help?
    I am a dev.

Respectfully

• | Tip vasp

just updated feathercoind on my pool from GIT, there are
    "13 hours ago FeatherCoin difficulty adjustment protocol upgrade: 504-block adjustment [sunnyking]" comment
    So, from which block will this update work?

• | Tip ShadowEW

Official update announced, hardfork in 205 blocks:

http://forum.feathercoin.com/index.php?topic=505.msg3640#msg3640

Let’s get these last few blocks out the way! ^_^

• | Tip justabitoftime

Please help us notify the pools and direct them here if they need assistance.

• Regular Member | Tip zerodrama

serraz is updating his. serraz kicks ass.

so that’s at least about 10% converted over guaranteed.

• | Tip justabitoftime

[quote name=“zerodrama” post=“3681” timestamp=“1368625214”]
    serraz is updating his. serraz kicks ass.

so that’s at least about 10% converted over guaranteed.
    [/quote]

Thank you for the update, please keep them coming.